ICL world series called off due to Mumbai Blast

November 27th, 2008 Posted in 20-20, Cricket News, ICL, Twenty 20
The terror attacks in Mumbai have forced the cancellation of the ongoing ICL world series in Ahmedabad, a senior official confirmed. ICL representatives met Gujarat government officials over the future of the tournament following Wednesday’s terror strikes in Mumbai, and later decided to call off the event.

"We have decided to cancel the World Series in the best interests of all involved, particularly the teams," Kiran More, an executive board member of the ICL, told Cricinfo. "The executive board decided that it was not appropriate to continue. We were ready with the extra security but felt the atmosphere, in the wake of the Mumbai events, was just not right to go ahead with the matches."

 

More stressed that all players and officials had been given adequate security while the chairman of the ICL’s executive board, Kapil Dev, said: "The teams have shown confidence in the ICL management and have supported the decision to call off the tour."

 

The ICL had on Thursday morning decided to call off the evening’s match between Pakistan and Bangladesh teams in Ahmedabad. The world series, involving India XI, Pakistan XI, Bangladesh XI and World XI, was scheduled to end on Saturday.

source:cricinfo.com

Comments are closed.